I also had the chance to witness our friends from Oakland FCC, Pastor Paul Wilson installed as superintendent of the Pacific Southwest Conference, and Pastor Peter Dibley being ordained to Word and Sacrament.
This year’s ECC Annual Meeting was called “Gather ‘14” and the theme of the event was “start and strengthen churches”.
Some of the key facts shared at the meeting include the following:
- 27 churches were received into membership of the Evangelical Covenant Church .
- Growth statistics include an increase in worship attendance in 2013 by more than 200,000 as well as increase in the number of ethnic and multicultural churches – making the Covenant one of the most diverse denominations.
- Covenant pension and benefits that continue to provide for pastors, missionaries, office staff, surviving spouses and families.
- Women Ministries report and Meagan Gillan was recognized for her leadership of Women Ministries as it transitions from an independent entity to a part of the ECC’s Make and Deepen Disciples ministry group.
- 19 missionaries were commissioned for service
- Honoring and recognizing faithful service of missionaries who some have served 30 years and beyond.
- Extensive budget report on past and proposed to fund the denomination’s Mission and Ministry.
- Living faithfully in the mission included the approval of the 2014 Constitution and Bylaw Amendments and the Resolution on Immigration. There were also reports about Congolese children (7000 sponsored by Covenanters) by Covenant Kids Congo powered by World vision and how we invested in an in-depth multifaceted community development program that includes projects in health, water, agriculture, education, economic development and advocacy in the Equateur Province of Congo. This year’s goal is to find sponsors for 3,000 more children. Churches are encouraged to sponsor a Hope Sunday event—details are on CovChurch.org/covenantkidscongo.
An official Gather’14 Delegate Summary report is available here.
Highlights of the Gather’14 – Chicagoland experience are available at the Covenant Church website at www.covchurch.org.
Wina Burnama, delegate