Offspring are a reward from him
Kids are awesome. In the midst of praising God, the psalmist takes a moment to remind the reader that children are a blessing.
Sometimes, we parents need to be reminded of that. :)
If you are like us, you spend a lot of time together in the car. That time can be used for many things: practicing songs for the upcoming Children’s Christmas musical (let me know if you need a CD!), listening to Disney music (we do a lot of that also), napping, snacking, working on things like counting and memory verses, or trying to actually bond with your child.
We have entered the stage of having both kids in school, which means there is lots of time in the car to talk about how our days went. Sophia (4.5 years) is already getting tired of my asking “how was school today?” And I am already getting frustrated with her usual response: “good.” I’m thinking, c’mon…you just spent 8 hours there and you can’t give me anything more than “good?”
I found this helpful: a list of questions to ask your child on the way home other than “how was school today?” Our car rides have been more enjoyable and less frustrating since. Sometimes all it takes to get a kid to open up about something is to ask the right question. I hope this list will be useful to you and allow you to see that kids are indeed a gift from God.
- What did you eat for lunch?
- What games did you play at recess?
- What was the funniest thing that happened today?
- Did anyone do anything super nice for you?
- What was the nicest thing you did for someone else?
- Who made you smile today?
- Which one of your teachers would survive a zombie apocalypse? Why?
- What new fact did you learn today?
- Who brought the best food in their lunch today? What was it?
- What challenged you today?
- If school were a ride at the fair, which ride would it be? Why?
- What would you rate your day on a scale of 1 to 10? Why?
- If one of your classmates could be the teacher for the day who would you want it to be? Why?
- If you had the chance to be the teacher tomorrow, what would you teach the class?
- Did anyone push your buttons today?
- Who do you want to make friends with but haven’t yet? Why not?
- What is your teacher’s most important rule?
- What is the most popular thing to do at recess?
- Does your teacher remind you of anyone else you know? How?
- Tell me something you learned about a friend today.
- If aliens came to school and beamed up 3 kids, who do you wish they would take? Why?
- What is one thing you did today that was helpful?
- When did you feel most proud of yourself today?
- What rule was the hardest to follow today?
- Which person in your class is your exact opposite?
- Which area of your school is the most fun?
- Which playground skill do you plan to master this year?
- Does anyone in your class have a hard time following the rules?
- What is something you are interested in that you hope they would teach about at school?
- What emotion did you feel the most today: joy, anger, sadness or fear?